PhD student within Industrial Biotechnology
Do you want to work in the exciting interface between industry and academic sciences? We are looking for a highly skilled and dedicated person to work with enzyme biotechnology in a joint project between AAK AB and the Division of Biotechnology, Dept. of Chemistry at Lund University.
Enzymes have attractive properties as catalysts, especially for the conversion of biomass to valuable products. However, in many cases there are problems associated with the enzymatic reactions, which prevent their wide-spread use. This project will address these limitations to allow development of economic and bio-sustainable enzyme processes. The development of a novel industrial, enzymatic process, to be implemented in AAK will be used as an example.
The following points will be in focus:
• Testing natural enzymes having potential to become industrial catalysts
• Development of improved methods to immobilize enzymes, thereby facilitating their re-use
• Increasing the stability of enzymes during process conditions. This will be done by elucidation of inactivation mechanisms, followed by rational stability improvement
The task is doctoral studies which includes designing and conducting experimental research, graduate courses, writing scientific articles and doctoral thesis. The research will have a focus on enzyme technology. Duties may also include participation in teaching and other departmental work, at the Division of Biotechnology, to a maximum of 20% of the time. In this case, the time frame for the doctoral studies will be extended correspondingly.
Your personal profile
• You hold a relevant M.Sc. degree in the field of biotechnology or related areas
• Experience from industrial production, process development and/or enzyme process optimization is of value
• You have a good understanding of bioprocess engineering and industrial processes
• You have a strong personal drive and bring forth initiative and new ideas
• Experience from relevant laboratory work is considered important
• You are fluent in written and spoken English
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is regularly ranked as one of the world’s top 100 higher education institutions. The University has 41 000 students and 7 500 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Division of Biotechnology at Lund University
The Division of Biotechnology belongs to the Faculty of Engineering and Lund University and is located in Kemicentrum. Biotechnology is of central importance for the transition towards a sustainable society. The research activities at the Division of Biotechnology include areas such as enzyme technology, microbial technology, industrial biotechnology, bio separation and bio analysis. The division provides an inspiring environment where scientific work and education goes hand in hand with interactions with society.
This position is funded by the Swedish Foundation for Strategic research (SSF) and AAK AB. The selected candidate will be employed at AAK. He/she will also be registered as a doctoral student at the Division of Biotechnology, Dept. of Chemistry at Lund University. A large part of the work will be carried out at Lund University and it will lead to a PhD degree within 4–5 years depending on the amount of departmental duties
For further information about the position please contact:
Morten Emil Møldrup, Innovation Project & Portfolio Manager, AAK AB (E-mail: email@example.com or Tel: +4540101357)
Patrick Adlercreutz, Professor of Biotechnology, Lund University (E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: +46462224842)
Please submit your application with relevant enclosures to email@example.com with subject line ‘PhD Student Biotech’ as soon as possible as applications are evaluated continuously.