Environment


Environment covers AAK’s impact on the environment in terms of consumption and emissions from our production plants. It is a clear top priority for us to minimize our use of natural resources and emissions per processed final product even though our stronger focus on speciality drives a higher degree of processing. We have been able to create strong results within this area over the last years and also during this year due to a strong focus on internal and external benchmarking as well as best practice sharing. We divide Environment into four sub-sections: Energy, Air, Water and Waste.

Environmental objectives
Resource efficiency
A common way of measuring resource efficiency is to calculate the amount of resources consumed versus the production output. However, AAK’s strategy of producing and selling more specialized, refined products means that, all things being equal, we require more resources per unit of output. This sometimes blurs the results of efficiency initiatives and makes it hard to paint a clear picture and give well-earned credit to the projects.

For this reason, a decision has been taken to focus on local organization, projects, progress and results driven by local resource efficiency teams.

The process:
2013: Teams established, monthly meetings and at least one project initiated
2014: Resource efficiency projects at all sites are delivering according to plan
2015: Resource efficiency results documented at all sites 

At the end of 2015 the results from the individual efficiency projects have been documented and can be seen in the sustainability report.

Waste
Sending waste to landfill means not utilizing any of the potential value that may still be present. What’s more, in many countries, a landfill tax has been introduced to reduce the amount of waste disposed of in this way.

AAK’s objective was that, by the end of 2015, minimum 98.5 percent of the company’s waste would go to reuse, recycling or recovery. During 2015, 1.3 percent (equal to 1,400 MT) of the total waste was disposed of in the least favourable way: landfill. The remaining 98.7 percent of the waste material was disposed for reuse, recycling or recovery, thus exceeding our global objective.


Achievements 2015

Relentless efforts to use resources more efficiently resulted in additional achievements in 2015, such as:

• 5.8 percent decrease in energy used per processed unit
• 4.8 percent reduction of net direct CO₂emission per processed unit
• 4.0 percent reduction of water consumption per processed unit
• 44 percent reduction of waste to landfill 

Objectives 2016+
Waste

2018: Less than 1.5 percent of waste disposed as landfill/deposit

Bookmark and Share